Your CapTel phone lets you select which captioning method is used to generate captions during your calls (for CapTel 2400i/840i/880i models). Choose between:
Auto Captions: Captions are entirely computer-generated
- No operator on the call
- Calls start almost immediately, no need to wait for an operator to begin the call
- Captions appear in real-time, with no delays
- Service rated #1 industry-wide for accuracy & speed1
- You can switch to Assisted Captions at any point in the call
Assisted Captions: An operator facilitates captioning, making corrections & providing call details
- Operator assists with providing captions for the call.
- Operator may provide additional call details, such as background sounds & music on hold
- If the line connection is poor or there is static on the line, switching to Assisted Captions may improve accuracy.
Selecting your Captions Preference
- During setup: follow the on-screen instructions to select your Captioning Preference. Whichever method you choose will be used as the default method for your calls.
- During a call: You can switch from Auto Captions to Assisted Captions at any point in a call by selecting the on-screen “switch” icon (2400i) or pressing the DOWN arrow button (840i/880i).
- If you would like to change your Captioning Preference setting at a later time, please press the blue button to contact CapTel Customer Service for assistance.
NOTE: 911 Calls are given priority and will be processed using Assisted Captions once an operator is available.
1The National Test Lab, operated by MITRE Corporation, FCC Telecommunications Relay Services Project: Captioning Quality Testing: Hamilton’s ASR Scenario (dated Mar. 7, 2022), https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/file/download/DOC-5fe4ccaeb4c00000-A.pdf