CapTel 840: Remote Access to Your Answering Machine Messages
CapTel lets you call in to play your Answering Machine messages when you are away from your home or office. This feature must be turned on and you must set a personal identification number (PIN) for security before this feature will work.
The default setting for Remote Access is OFF.
NOTE: If possible, use a different CapTel phone when calling in to retrieve your
messages, in order to be able to see captions of the messages. If you call using any
other phone, you will be able to listen to the voice part of the Answering Machine
messages but you will not be able to read captions at your remote location.
To turn Remote Access ON and set a personal identification number (PIN):
1. With the handset hung up, press the YES button to see the Options menu.
2. Press the DOWN arrow button until Answering Machine is highlighted. Press the YES button to select.
3. Press the DOWN arrow button repeatedly until Answering Machine Settings is highlighted. Press the YES button to accept.
4. Press the DOWN arrow button until Remote Access is highlighted. Press the YES button to accept.
5. Press the UP arrow button to highlight Remote Access On. Press the YES button to accept.
6. CapTel shows the default 4-digit Remote Access PIN. This is the number you need to enter when calling in remotely to play your Answering Machine messages.
You should change the PIN to a different number for your own use. Use the DOWN arrow button to backspace over the existing PIN. Then, press the numbers on the CapTel keypad to set your own personal PIN. Be sure to write the PIN down for your own reference!
7. When you have the number that you want, press the YES button to save. Or press the NO button to exit.
8. CapTel displays the commands you may use when calling to access your messages remotely. When you have reviewed the commands, press the NO button to exit.
9. Press the NO button repeatedly to exit.
NOTE: When Remote Access is ON, you can review/change your PIN number and review the Remote Access commands in the Answering Machine Settings menu. These menu options do not appear when Remote Access is turned OFF.